The archives of the Victoria to Maui International Yacht Race are organized in two ways; with data that can be compiled for the entire history of the race and with data that can most reasonably associated with one particular race cycle.
Data in the first grouping is gathered in sections labelled All Years and Boats. Data in the second is in a section labelled Individual Race Years, a section labelled Videos and three short summary sections. Almost all data is stored as PDF files but the files in Videos are in MP4 format and may not be readily accessible to all. We are working on this.
A word on what is needed to open and read these files – the PDF files can be opened with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader and other PDF reader software. The latest version of Adobe Reader is available for free download at http://get.adobe.com/reader. The Adobe viewer allow files to be searched. In Adobe Reader, clicking on the Magnifying Glass icon will open the search menu; one can then enter a boat’s name, a skipper’s name, etc. and the data will be searched for the next matching entry or all matching entries.
Contents of the "All Years" section
- All Years Entries lists every boat that entered any race. Occasionally a boat has multiple entries because she sailed in different years with different skippers or for different clubs. Sometimes a boat name is carried forward from one vessel to its replacement and in one race we had two boats with the same name.
- Results Raw and Trophy Data Raw are simply scanned images of the final working sheets for this information.
- All Years Results is a tidied up presentation of the raw data. There is one page for each race and they are bookmarked, meaning that if the list of bookmarks is open, you can click on a date and be taken directly to the appropriate page.
- All Years Trophy Awards is similar to the Results presentation. The first page is an index to the list of trophies and what they represented over the years. Occasionally a trophy, such as Number 05, has been re-assigned once or more as so is listed accordingly. Each trophy is assigned a number and the bookmarks include the number and the trophy’s name. Clicking on a given bookmark will take you to the relevant page.
- All Years Trustees and Chairs is a one page list of the people who have filled these posts through the years.
- Montage is simply a few photos from several different races covering most parts of a race.
Contents of the "Boats" section
Upwards of 350 boats have competed in the 24 races to date. We have images for over 100 of them. When two boats with the same name have entered the image titles are tagged with the type name of the boat in the picture. Where possible, the name of the photographer is included. Note that of the identifiable images, almost all were the work of Kelly O’Neil, a very important Pacific Northwest marine photographer until her untimely death in 2004.
Contents of the "Specific Race Years" section
The one thing in common for each of the folders from 1968 onward is that they contain scanned images of the program for the particular year. Beyond that the included information varies. For most years we have race data, being typically related to entries, finish times and corrected positions. For some years there are reproductions of newspaper articles and in a few instances there are logs, blogs and memoirs. We draw your attention in particular to Ken Park’s Vic-Maui by Sextant, from the 1976 race and Paul Michael’s Family Affair Blog from 2012.
Contents of the Videos section
There are five videos of varying quality:
- Sanfire’s race in 1984 (in which your humble archivist was a crew member). (Run time – 46 minutes)
- Foxfire’s race in 1990. (Run time 31 minutes)
- A commercial production from 1990 which actually deals with the 1990 Kenwood Cup Series but which has some very interesting photography. The video includes supplementary footage on Mad Max, which sailed the 1990 Vic-Maui before competing in Kenwood Cup. (Run time 22 minutes)
- A short promotional film from 1992, being an interview with Royal Vancouver Yacht Club’s Past Commodore Peter Jefferson. (Run time 5 minutes)
- A video in which a TV newsman sails in Oriole in 2000, the year she won the race. Segments of the film are aboard the vessel while other are reportage within the newsroom. (Run time 26 minutes)
Missing & Additional Material
There are many gaps in our story. Information missing in the All Years Results and All Years Trophy Awards is highlighted in yellow in those documents. Many boat portraits are missing. There is room for more “color” by means of articles, anecdotes, photos, etc. Anything forwarded to us will be considered for inclusion in the archives. Please contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you — Mahalo.